Friday, November 19, 2010

It started as a beautiful morning...

It started as a beautiful morning that I woke up to the pleasant chirping of birds and the mild rays of rising sun were drawn against my curtain. It was simply too serene. This time, I felt as though I was the one who woke the alarm clock up as my mind was set with today's exciting plan. I had a date.

At first, I was not stupid enough to accept Carl's invitation for a date, letting the euphoria to completely overwhelm me even though I was in cloud nine at that jiffy, smiling in my heart. I was showing my feigned reluctance, telling Carl that it was not easy to ask me and testing as to whether he was really genuine. Without an ounce of hesitation, he ran off and returned to me within 5 minutes, panting and sweating like a hog, bringing back a bouquet of roses and pleaded, “Carmen, please, date with me.”

...Having myself prepared in fashionable clothes, I deftly put on the make up on my face, drawing the eyeliner to a tee. Not to forget my triumph card – the “killing perfume” which I only used once in a blue moon. When I was all set, I left my house and walking along the pavement, humming a tune to myself, meanwhile, looking for a taxi.

The subsequent scene revealed itself in an Italian restaurant. The continental decorations and Italian soft music were enough to set up a romantic atmosphere. As I entered the restaurant, I raised my head a little, scanning around for Carl's presence. Realizing that I arrived earlier than Carl, I chose a table with 2 seats and had myself sitting comfortably while waiting for him.

“May I have your order, lady?”
“A cup of coffee with less sugar please.” Perhaps I was too busy to touch up my make up, I neglected the eye contact with the waiter. As I saw him walking away, I was quick enough to observe that he was actually wearing his tuxedo inside out. I chuckled, trying hard to stifle my mirth.

Half an hour had passed and without realizing, I had finished sipping my coffee. My patience was wearing thin as I still could hardly see even the silhouette of Carl. Meanwhile, dark clouds began to drape the ever smiling sun and rain started to fell in crescendo as I looked outside through the window. Raindrops pattered on the roof as the rain became heavier. The scene was just enough to explain my current mood, I reckoned.

For suddenly, out of the blue, a man shoved the door open and I was jolted from my reverie. It was Carl. His shirt was soaked in rain and he approached me in a state of nervousness, provoking unpleasant gaze from vicinity.

“Urmm... I am sorry, I... just now...”
“I don't know you, please go away.”
“I din't mean to be late, but...”
“Don't bullshit. Why do you have to be so pathetic everytime? What matters the worst, you are being late! Do you what time is it now?” I bulged my eyes and hissed at him, continued reprimanding as all my anger and dissatisfaction erupted full blast with my voice.

It was then that the light abruptly went off and the restaurant was dimly lit with increasing number of candle lights, all arranging in a line surrounding the room. To my surprise, there was even music played with violin. Wait, It sounded just like...

“Happy Birthday Carmen!” For a moment, Carl's brimming face was illuminated by the candle lights on a birthday cake. Realization suddenly hit me with a jolt that today was my birthday. I had totally forgotten about it! Embarrassed by my paramount ranting, I apologized sincerely to him.

“I’m so sorry for yelling at you just now. I never knew that you actually put up a hard work for this party and even made you all wet. You know, I’m truly touched. Thank you.” I asserted in between tears as I lowered my head for feeling sorry that I went all rampaging, weeping.

“I won’t mind. And I’m sorry too for making you feeling sorry.”
“No…no…no…don’t even mention it. I’m very happy at your plan.”
“Then now, would u officially become my one and only girlfriend?”

Mixed feelings surged through me despite the state of sorry- feeling touched and happy at the same time for his meticulously planned plan and yet flabbergasted at his sudden assertion.

“Err…Umm…Yes.” In soft voice, I agreed. Little did I notice that the rain actually subsided and the sunlight again pierced through the dark clouds that brighten our day again. It ended as a beautiful day.




*"weather" instantaneously popped up in my mind as I saw the title. I decided to blend such element with the story with good weather as the opening, raining at the middle of the story and end it with a good weather again. This is what I could come out. Written by me, compiled by Mr Shim

No comments:

Post a Comment