Thursday, November 18, 2010

Too late



“See what I 've got, the crystal pendant! I 've been trying every stroke of my luck to get it from the capsule machine. How rare is this!” Amy's face was brimming with happiness as though she was about to leap with joy.

“What makes you to be so intrigued in these sissy things? I wonder why are you...”

“You just don't understand. Rumour has it that if I could get another half of the pendant and make it completed, every single wish will soon be realized!” She cut in, with an exciting tone, leaving me staring at her, expressionless.

“Cheesy...” I responded, tearing away my stare from her to continue looking at the sea.

“You look as if you have something to say. Caesar?” Quizzically, she studied my expression closely.

“Amy, I was being accepted by Harvard University that I have to go...”

“It's alright. No matter how far or how long will you be going, I will be waiting for you. Don't you worry about me.” Her eyelids narrowed and a smile was formed on her face. It was as though she had already known about the news.

...It was now my third year at the university. Time passed remarkably fast and everything went on smoothly but the only thing that was missed out was that I had been losing contact with Amy, for about three months. I was pessimistic enough to reckon that she might had forgotten me, probably in another new relationship.

It was then that I caught a glimpse of a capsule machine, standing in front of a grocery. I stood momentarily before the very machine and decided to change a token with coins, giving a shot on what would I be getting even though it sounded cheesy, at least for me. It looked too uncannily inviting.

I inserted the coin into the machine and in return, I obtained a blue capsule. To my surprise, I found a halved crystal pendant that was similar to the one Amy owned. Images of moments between Amy and I, abruptly, flashed across my mind. For a moment, little did I know I actually do miss her.

...“Hello? Is Mr Caeser speaking?”
“Yes.”
“This is Bangkok Hospital. To make it short, your friend, Amy Silviana, has been admitted into the wat 2 months ago. Her parents fervently hope that you could pay a visit to her.”

I was paralyzed on spot upon hearing the news, still disbelieving on what was transpiring. Wasting no time at all, I booked a flight ticket and returned to Bangkok. I fidgeted everytime in the plane as all sorts of unwanted possibility danced about in my mind. “Amy, don't you ever scare me, please.”

The subsequent episode revealed itself in Bangkok Hospital. I rushed towards the wat where Amy was admitted as fast as my legs could take and my breath could catch. As I wrenched the door open, My blood ran cold as I saw Amy lying on the bed in a still repose, being accompanied by her parents. Everything was just too unreal.

“Caeser, you finally arrived. But, you are too late, Amy has just passed away a moment ago.” Amy's parents wept, burying their faces into Amy's body. Tears ran down incessantly down my cheek as I too, could not control my emotion. I approached Amy slowly and I was brave enough to verify the cruel reality. I grabbed on the halved crystal pendant tightly, watching the other half on Amy's lifeless palm, crying and trembling.

“You just don't understand. Rumour has it that if I could get another half of the pendant and make it completed, every single wish will soon be realized!”

“Now I had brought the other half. How I wish you can open your eyes now...”



*This is just my another try on something "emotional". The plot was clear in my mind and things went on quite smoothly. Anyway, how do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment