Monday, November 15, 2010

An event that changed my life

It was Sunday and people were rather crowded here. Crouching down at the corner of a prosperous hypermarket, I extended my hand, raising my sole means of living tool (a sardine fish can) towards the crowd for some attention or sympathy for me a starving, smelly little poor beggar. I could barely live just slightly above the level of starvation.

In fact, I was diligent to wander around the streets for extra “income” apart from waiting blindly. I, therefore, would stagger into any restaurants or shops that came into my way if any generous ones would kindly offer me some leftover food or water. My dignity was no where to be found, living like a stray dog.

One very fateful morning I stumbled upon a simple store, not much ordinary than ever. I stepped inside, pacing around the somehow vacant store and spotted a lady freely reading her newspaper. “Err… could you lend me one or two dollars please?” I beseeched while acting as if I was deprived from nourishment for decades before added,” some expired food will also do.”

She realized of my presence, looked up at me and gently put down the newspaper. ”hmm… but only one condition- carry all those crates into the storeroom just behind, beside the toilet,” she ordered, pointing at the crates stacking as high as a mountain outside.

Infuriated by her task that obviously put me into dilemma, I hissed, “how could you ever humiliate me like this? I’m just simply beg for a living!”

“Oh? Are you crippled or what? Carry those crates or get lost. It’s all up to you.” Realization hit me with a jolt upon hearing this. She had got the point and I relented, scurried into action meekly with a “Fine!”

me. She then approached me and lent me a towel. No sooner had I finished wiping of the sweat than she generously invited me for a lunch with her that I gobbled down a large Minutes stretched into hours that I finished my quest, at last, sweating like a hog. My stomach was churning that I could hardly endure the hunger that was killing portion of hers as well. I was definitely grateful for her that the lost sense of contentment finally allowed resurfacing.

Just then when I was leaving, the familiar voice of the lady reached my ears, “Hey, mister, you’ve forgotten your pay!” I turned around and noted that she handed me a 50 dollars note.

“Are you sure about this?” staring at her with astonishment, my hands were shaking as I took over the money, deeply touched.

“Of course. You deserved it for your hard work. And one more thing, do remember to get a job!” Staring deep into her brimming eyes, I could feel a overwhelming power engulfing me, dictating me for a change. Her heart-warming advice and all she did literally enlightened me, etching profoundly in my heart that the passing of time could never erode it. I thanked her to my heart’s content.

Hot tears trailed down my cheeks in rivulet as I gripped the money tightly. I promised myself for the sake of mine and for hers as well, to strive out of poverty with my own strength. How lucky I was that God had sent me an angel for lecturing a priceless lesson that even came together with money. I would definitely make it without a doubt, no matter what stumbling blocks awaiting me in the future.



*I din't make this myself. I received this essay from Mr Shim and was permitted to publish it. I suggested a longer essay, anyway, it's a good piece of writing though.

1 comment: